Frequently Asked Questions - Legal

Does this office give legal advice to the public?
No, this office does not give legal advice to the public. The public may contact the S.C. Lawyer Referral Service for assistance in locating an attorney at 800-868-2284 or the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program at 888-346-5592.

Whom do I contact if I have been charged with a criminal offense in Berkeley County and cannot afford an attorney?
Contact the Public Defender's Office at 843-899-2777.

Where can I find Berkeley County Ordinances?
You may access the Berkeley County Ordinances at the following link:

Where may I find the S.C. Code of Laws, Regulations or the S.C. Constitution?

How do I file a complaint against an attorney?
Contact the Commission on Lawyer Conduct at 803-734-2038.

How do I file a Freedom of Information Act request?
Berkeley County processes its Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests through an online portal making it an efficient and streamlined process for requesters. You may submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request by clicking on the following link:
If you are first-time user, you will need to create an account.