Frequently Asked Questions - Clerk of Courts

What happens when I go to court?
Whether you will be coming to court as a party , witness, family friend, or observer, there are certain rules of conduct and appearance that everyone must follow. First, and foremost, you should arrive at court on time. Please be sure to allow sufficient time to find a parking space an pass through the security checkpoint at the front entrance. Mace, pepper spray, guns, knives or any other objects deemed to be potential weapons are not allowed in the courthouse. No audio or video recording devices or cell phones are allowed. Second you are expected to conduct yourself in a respectful manner. Whether appearing in court, or simply observing, you must come properly dressed. A coat and tie or dress are considered appropriate. Shorts, t-shirts and tank tops are not permitted in the courtrooms. When entering the courtroom please do so quietly and promptly find a seat.

How is a juror selected?
Answer for this question and more from the South Carolina Courts

How do I get a copy of my court records?
Civil Court records are being placed online at Public Index SC Courts
The Clerk of Court's Office maintains indices for civil and criminal case files. All civil cases are indexed by plaintiff (person bringing suit) and defendant (person sued). All criminal cases are indexed by the defendant (the accused). Unlike the Circuit Court, where most records are available for public inspection, many Family Court records are considered confidential and may only be inspected with special permission. Juvenile delinquency, adoptions, terminated parental rights, abuse and neglect, and any other sealed records are all confidential. There is a small charge for copies.

How do I make child or spousal support payments in Berkeley County?
Effective Tuesday, April 2, 2019, citizens currently making support payments to the Berkeley County Clerk of Court will make payment to the South Carolina State Disbursement Unit mailed to:

South Carolina State Disbursement Unit
P.O. Box 100302
Columbia, SC 29202-3302

Note: The State Disbursement Unit will accept personal checks.

If you have questions about when or how to make payment to the State Disbursement Unit, please contact the SDU customer service center at 1-800-768-5858. Agents are available M-F, 8:30am-5:00pm excluding holidays.

For more information for Customers Paying Support and the options available to make payments, visit

Note: Payments made to the SDU will be applied according to Federal guidelines.

How do I enroll my Notary?
Section 26-1-50 of the SC Code of Law requires that every notary public shall, within fifteen days after he has been commissioned, exhibit his commission to the clerk of the court of the county in which he resides and be enrolled by the clerk. You may enroll your notary between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, except County holidays. The enrollment fee is $5.00 payable by cash, money order or credit card. You must bring your original notary certificate and a photo id.

FAQ Links
More FAQ's in South Carolina Family Courts
More FAQ's in South Carolina Circuit Courts
More FAQ's in South Carolina Criminal Courts