Address Information

Address Information Department

Gregory Rines, Director

Mission statement
The mission of the E-911 Address Information Department is to provide and maintain the most accurate address database possible for the Berkeley County Enhanced E-911 service and its citizens.

Services provided by Address Information Department include:

  • Assign new street addresses to parcels or real property throughout the County.
  • Collect GPS data on new road centerlines for addition and maintenance to the GIS digital street layer.
  • Receive telephone calls from the public to provide information regarding the process of street addressing and to handle any concerns.
  • Resolve discrepancies involving addresses such as address assignments or corrections as related to phone service, 911 call problems and other issues related to site address conflicts.
  • Maintain and update the constantly changing County Master Street Address guide and the GIS physical site address layer.
  • Coordinates with other municipalities regarding addressing issues.

A County-wide site location database developed to provide a standard for address for all County departments has been developed and maintained as a means of standardization of addresses.

How do I get a physical address?

An official address will be assigned when we receive a “Permit to Construct” Septic Tank Approval Letter from the Department of Health & Environmental Control (DHEC) or a letter verifying sewer availability from the correct provider, whether it is Berkeley County Water & Sewer Authority (BCW&SA), Commissioners of Public Works (CPW) or a municipality.

Do I have to display the assigned E-911 number on my house? If so, what size numbers should be used?

Once a dwelling or building has been assigned an address, the address must be displayed in a conspicuous place immediately above, on or at the side of the main entrance of the building so that the number can easily be seen and read from the street. Residential numbers shall not be less than four (4) inches in height. Business numbers shall not be less than eight (8) inches in height. All numbers shall be made of durable and clearly visible material which is in a contrasting color to the building. Whenever the building is more than fifty (50) feet from the street, the owner shall also display the number near the driveway, on mailbox or common entrance to the building so as to be easily discernable from the street.

Who is responsible for the cost of the address numbers?

The property owner or occupant shall be responsible for the cost of the number(s).

How can I reserve a street name?

Road names must be approved through our office. Our office will check any suggested road names to make sure it can be used and meets our criteria. You may call our office at 843/719-4113 or fax a list of road names to 843/719-4190 for approval. Road names may remain on reserve for a 3 year time period once submitted and approved.

How do I name a new street?

Once a road has been created, our office staff will go out in the field and ride the road with our GPS unit. We will then return to our office and download the information into our computers. At that time, we will determine whether additional landowners whose property might border this road need to be contacted concerning the suggested road name. If additional landowners must be contacted, a petition requesting a proposed road name will be prepared by office. The applicant will be responsible to provide additional landowners the option to sign petition in favor of suggested road. We must have 75% of the landowners agree. If the suggested road name is accepted, our office will then complete the process of naming the street. If the road name is not accepted, the process for naming the road will have to begin with another suggested road name.

How do I change an existing road name?

To change an existing road name, an approved substitution must be submitted to our office. Our staff will prepare a petition with the suggested road name to be circulated to all landowners whose property fronts this road for their agreement. Berkeley County ordinance states that we must have 75% of the landowners agree with the change before it can be submitted to Berkeley County Planning Commission for approval. Berkeley County Planning Commission requires a $250.00 fee before petition can be submitted for approval. If the change is approved, there will be a $35.00 (per street sign) fee that must be collected and forwarded to Berkeley County Roads & Bridges Department. At that time, our office will complete the process of changing the road name.

Can I reserve a subdivision name?

Our office does regulate the naming of subdivisions. You may want to check with Berkeley County Planning & Zoning Office to verify if they have any regulations concerning subdivision names.

What is the process followed for a new subdivision to have a new TMS numbers and addresses assigned?

New subdivisions have to be approved through the Planning & Zoning Office. Once final approval has been issued, the plats can then be recorded in the Register of Deeds Office. Real Property Services department receives the recorded plats form Register of Deeds and begin assigning new TMS numbers. Once the new TMS numbers are assigned, the plats are forwarded to our office to be input into the GIS system. Our staff will begin the task of assigning new addresses and compiling a spreadsheet of the information. This whole process takes approximately 2-3 weeks.

Who furnishes the street signs?

The street signs that are located in a subdivision are to be installed by the developer. Any street named and not located in a subdivision, Berkeley County would install the street sign. If an existing road name is changed, the person submitted the change will pay a $35.00 (per sign) fee for sign replacement.

Can you verify if an address is in Berkeley County?

Our office will be glad to assist you with address verification for Berkeley County. Information may be limited inside the municipalities because they handle their own addressing and our data will only be as good as the information we are provided.

Do you have a website?

Berkeley County GIS has a website that has most of the same information we can provide you that we usually update weekly. The Berkeley County Address Information department can be accessed through the GIS website.

Can you give me directions?

We will try our best to provide you with directions for places within Berkeley County.

Does your office assign the TMS numbers for newly created parcels?

Real Property Services assigns the TMS numbers for parcels after they receive the recorded plats from the Register of Deeds office.

Does your office have copies of the recorded plats for Berkeley County?

The recorded plats and deeds are maintained by the Register of Deeds office of Berkeley County.