The following guidelines have been established to make the program safe and beneficial to all. Please read - you will be asked to sign a copy of these guidelines.
You must be 18 years of age to participate.
You must be a Berkeley County Resident, unless this requirement is waived.
You may only participate in two Ride-Alongs a year.
You will need to bring the printed form to the Sheriff's Office in person in order to be considered a ride-a-long appointment.
- Observers shall report to the designated Roll Call Assembly site fifteen (15) minutes prior to roll call.
- Observers shall be neat and clean in appearance and attire. Decisions regarding questionable attire or appearance shall be made by the Watch Commander. Observers not appropriately attired will not be allowed to ride.
- Observers have no police authority and are under the direct authority of the police officer to whom they are assigned.
- Observers shall not interfere with any police officer performing his/her duty.
- Observers shall not:
Become involved in any investigation,
Discuss any case with victim(s), witnesses or suspect(s), or
Handle police equipment without authorization from the officer.
- Observers shall abide by their host officer's decision as to whether or not they will be allowed to exit the vehicle and observe particular calls for police service.
- Observers are allowed to take notes, but shall not bring nor use tape recorders, cameras or video equipment (credentialed media representatives may be exempt from this rule).
- Observers may be called to court as a witness as a result of participating in the program.
- Observers, host officers, a supervisor and/or the Watch Commander may terminate the ride-along at any time it is deemed necessary to benefit the Observer and/or the Sheriff's Office.
- Observers, once approved, are permitted to ride one time within any two week period unless otherwise approved by the Chief of Patrol or higher authority. This form is valid for a 30 day period.
- Observers shall be unarmed unless otherwise authorized by the Chief of Patrol or higher authority.
- Observers shall submit this completed form at least three (3) days prior to the date which he/she wishes to ride. NOTE: This does not apply to officer initiated requests