The mission of the Berkeley County Risk Management Department is to identify and evaluate areas of potential loss to Berkeley County personnel and property assets and recommend appropriate risk management techniques to minimize such loss.
The Risk Management Department ensures that the risks of the County's assets, liabilities and employees are adequately insured. This office handles all workers' compensation, property, vehicle, equipment, liability, fidelity and crime insurance matters. Insurance claims are reviewed, reported and processed by this department.
If you are a citizen and you witness a safety hazard involving a Berkeley County employee, either report it to their supervisor or call the Risk Management Department at 843-719-4908.
Employees witnessing accident or injuries involving the public and occurring on Berkeley County property need to page the 24 hour pager at: 800-614-8196.
Specific functions performed by the Risk Management Department include:
- Properly insuring all property and equipment owned by the County
- Administering the Workers' Compensation Program for the County
- Processing insurance claims related to County property, equipment and workers' compensation
- Maintaining all workers' compensation, property, vehicle, equipment, liability, fidelity and crime insurance claim files for the County
- Completing and maintaining Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) record-keeping logs and reports
- Training all County employees in general safety awareness, hazardous communications, blood borne pathogens and defensive driving
- Conducting job site audits to assist employees in complying with applicable regulations and to record violations
- Providing safety training materials, including safety videos and handouts
- Working closely with Supervisors and Management to correct hazards
- Training county departments in different safety standards such as confined space, fall protection, personal protective equipment, general construction, identify theft and ergonomics
- Preparing statistical analyses of injuries and accidents to determine proactive approaches to prevention
- Administering the Alcohol and Drug training and Random Testing
- Administering Hepatitis B, PPD and Flu Shots and managing records for Berkeley County Government and Berkeley County Water and Sanitation