Stormwater Management Program
On January 30, 2006, the South Carolina Department of Health And Environmental Control (SCDHEC) issued the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit for Storm Water Discharges from Regulated Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s). Berkeley County is a Regulated MS4 operator and must comply with the NPDES General Permit (Permit) requirements. The Permit requires the County to develop, implement and enforce a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) to reduce the discharge of pollutants from our MS4 to the maximum extent practicable (MEP), to protect water quality, and to satisfy the appropriate water quality requirements of the Clean Water Act.
On July 1, 2008, the County was granted permission to discharge storm water to receiving waters in the State of South Carolina from its regulated area subject to the Permit requirements.
A new Permit was recently issued by SCDHEC which became effective on January 1, 2014. This new Permit replaces the 2006 Permit.
The mission of the Department is to develop and implement a SWMP to comply with the regulatory requirements of the Permit as well as to protect, maintain, and enhance water quality and the environment of Berkeley County and the short-term and long-term public health, safety, and general welfare of the citizens of Berkeley County.
Berkeley County Council recently adopted a Stormwater Utility Ordinance that established a Stormwater Utility Fee. Information on the fee is available on the Stormwater Utility Fee page.
Stormwater Management Program Components
- Public Education & Outreach
- Public Involvement/Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
- Discharges to Impaired Water Bodies
- Stormwater Management Ordinance
- MS4 Regulated Area
- Stormwater Fees
- Stormwater Design Standards Manual
- Construction Activity Application (CAA)
- Checklist for CAA
- Approval Process for CAA
- Covenants for Permanent Maintenance of Stormwater Systems
- Transfer of Ownership Application
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping Manual