Tom Smith, Director
To serve the citizens of the County through effective planning for natural and man-made disasters. Our goal is to save lives and to protect property through coordination of an integrated emergency management system with all emergency response organizations, support services and volunteers."
In the event of a chemical spill or other hazard of biohazard, please call 911 immediately!
The Emergency Preparedness Department continually works hard to ensure the County is prepared for any and all types of potential disasters. This department performs numerous tasks, including:
- Coordinating the development, maintenance and testing of a comprehensive all-hazard emergency management program for the County and Community
- Establishing training standards and for providing training for department staff
- Researching, preparing, writing and submitting various emergency management and homeland security grant applications for local, state and federal funding
- Coordinating with all emergency support functions for evacuation during major disasters and ensuring emergency alert and warning information is disseminated accordingly
- Conducting analysis of potential consequences and helps to determine risk of possible disaster
- Reviewing and updating the County’s emergency operations plans, including Hurricane Response, Terrorism and Hazardous Materials response plans to conform with state and federal requirements
- Planning and coordinating the maintenance of the Emergency Operations Center facilities and equipment to ensure continuous readiness for immediate activation when needed
- Providing guidance and serving as the focal point for all matters relative to Homeland Security and Defense issues to include emergency response and relocation planning in all emergencies or disasters
- Coordinating emergency management classes and workshops for both civilian and response personnel
- Serving as Berkeley County Emergency Management’s representative to various committees, planning groups and task forces dealing with emergency management and homeland security issues
- Identifies, researches, orders, and maintains the equipment inventory for the County’s role in the WMD Regional Response Team – Lowcountry. Serves as the focal point for both external and internal training relating to weapons of mass destruction for the County’s first responders assigned to the WMD Regional Response Team – Lowcountry.