Building and Codes Enforcement
Provide Building Inspection Service for new construction and provide Codes Enforcement of Berkeley County Ordinances to ensure the citizens of Berkeley County Government are provided a safe and healthy place to live and work.
The Berkeley County Building and Codes Department was established in 1997. The department's coverage area encompasses the unincorporated areas of Berkeley County.
Types of Inspections we conduct include:
- Fire Sprinkler and Fire Alarm
- Swimming Pools
- Construction Trailers
- Manufactured Home Installation
Note: Contact the Building Inspection Department or Permitting Department for the detailed inspection list under each type or discipline.
Unincorporated Berkeley County is in the "Community Rating System" (CRS), which allows residents a discount on flood insurance premiums.
Building and Codes Enforcement Department Functions:
- Conduct Residential and Commercial Building Inspections For New Construction
- Conduct Residential and Commercial Plan Reviews For Code Compliance
- Conduct Commercial Plan Reviews For Sprinkler Systems and Fire Alarms
- Building Code Interpretation
- Flood Plains Management
- Fire Marshall Service
- Manufactured Home Installation Inspections
- Codes Enforcement for the County Zoning Ordinance
This Office Does Not:
- Provide Licenses For Contractors (visit LLR website)
- Process Complaints Against Contractors (visit LLR website)
- Conduct Septic Tank Approval (click her for instructions to download an application)
- Certify Wind Zone 2 Manufactured Homes (contact the manufacturer of your manufactured home)
- Provide code book (click here)
Building Codes and Plans Preparation:
- Berkeley County enforces the latest South Carolina State adopted versions of the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Mechanical Code, International Plumbing Code, International Gas Code, International Fire Code, International Energy Efficiency Code and the National Electric Code.
- Building plans must be designed by a State of South Carolina licensed Design Professional (Engineer and/or Architect) for Residential and Commercial. See Building and Building Regulations under Permitting link for exceptions to residential requirements.
- Design criteria for plan submittal must meet a minimum of 130 mph winds; "D" Seismic for Commercial and "D-2" Seismic for Residential. Interpolation for wind is allowed. Plans shall have a Code Analysis, Design Pressures (D/P Rating) for all doors and windows, soils reports for commercial and soils assumption for residential, detailed construction documents for all disciplines. Required Special Inspections for Commercial Projects.
Instructions For Downloading A Septic Tank Application
- Go To http://www.scdhec.gov/Environment/PermitCentral/ApplicationForms/
- Scroll down to the Septic Tanks section.
- Choose "Application for Permit to Construct an Individual Sewage Treatment and Disposal System"
Instructions for free viewing of a current code book
Log on to ICC website by clicking here.
- Access the codes by logging in as a return user.
- Select applicable code and section
- Select chapter and/or section
There are other sites on the web where the codes may be viewed and/or purchased.