John Nutter, Chief OfficerMission statement
To provide the citizens of Berkeley County with effective and cost efficient Animal Control Services by active enforcement of the County Animal Control Ordinance, assisting the local SPCA with the humane sheltering and disposal of stray and unwanted animals, and the promotion of responsible pet ownership and animal welfare.IF MISSING AN ANIMAL
Contact the Doc Williams SPCA at 761-0683 or visit the Animal Shelter at 502 Cypress Gardens Road, Monday thru Friday 12:00pm - 6:00pm, Sat 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Closed on Sun. Owners who can no longer keep their pets can turn in their animals at the shelter. Please call first and make an appointment for you to drop-off your pet.IF LOOKING TO ADOPT A PET
Please contact the Doc Williams SPCA Adoption Center at 761-0683 or visit the animals on 502 Cypress Gardens Rd in Goose Creek, Monday-Friday from 12pm-6pm or Saturday from 12pm-4pm.ANIMAL CONTROL AFTER HOURS
After Hours, weekends, holidays: FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY – Call 911. Examples of an emergency are; animal bites, injured animal, or aggressive animals. For all other complaints, call the regular office phone number and listen to message. At end, leave a detailed message and Animal Control will respond the next working day.ANIMAL CONTROL LAWS / MOST COMMON VIOLATIONS
- No owner shall fail to provide their animal(s) or pet(s) with:
- sufficient good and wholesome food and water,
- proper shelter and protection from the weather,
- veterinary care when needed to prevent suffering,
- and humane care and treatment.
- No person shall beat, cruelly treat, torment, overload, overwork, or otherwise abuse an animal, or cause, instigate, or permit any dogfight, or other combat between animals or between animals and humans.
- No owner of an animal shall abandon such animal.
- The owner of a dog or cat must have it inoculated against rabies at a frequency to provide continuous protection of the animal from rabies using a vaccine approved by the Department of Health and Environmental Control and administered by a licensed veterinarian.
- It shall be unlawful for any owner or custodian of any pet or animal to permit same to run at large at any time upon any street or highway or other property within the County, except upon property owned or rented by the owner or custodian.
- No pet or animal shall be permitted to be on school grounds or in a shopping area or similar public place unless on a leash at all times